Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Goals

I have some ambitious plans for this summer, and I want to lay them out so that I can consider whether or not I am biting off more than I can chew.

1. Consider creative ways to advocate for our library program. I've wanted to create a newsletter during the school year, but have been overwhelmed by other projects. I know, I know: a newsletter is not very 2.0, but sometimes it's easier to reach parents the old-fashioned way. As a department, we've discussed centralizing what we can to help share the work, but the details have not be ironed out. Furthermore, how ELSE can we advocate? Am I doing enough to reach parents and to help students see the value of the library? I firmly believe that the way forward is through the voices of parents and students.
2. Re-imagine my curriculum to be more rigorous, more authentic, and, quite frankly, more fun. I am going to systematically attack all seven grade levels and really put the current curriculum under the microscope. Am I truly hitting ALA's Standards for the 21st Century Learner appropriately? How will I support what teachers are doing in the classrooms with regard to the Common Core? Am I providing enough scaffolding for my students to be successful?
3. Develop concrete ideas to show measurable student growth. This one's tricky, and not very fun.
4. Brainstorm ways to make the library a more comfortable and warm space where kids want to be. This may require me to get crafty.
5. Next year we will have access to several new databases. How will I teach our faculty about these databases? How will I teach our students?
6. Improve upon last year's programs and initiatives, including Literary Lunch, Library Helpers, the Gaming Library, and the library blog, Book Snacks. What can I do new and different this year?
7. Read, read, read, and read some more. Picture books, MG, YA, and *gasp* even grown-up!!

I know there are more things I want to work on, but this is a pretty good start. If I can even accomplish some of these things, I'll feel pretty good about next year. Any advice for me on these items?

No comments:

Post a Comment