Saturday, November 3, 2012

Thing 1: Blogging

I am so excited to start this project! I've done it once before, but with such a focus on Common Core this year, I wanted to make sure I kept up with new technology. I am so excited to be doing this with not one, but TWO classroom teachers! I feel like the luckiest librarian in the world! Thanks, Erin and Rebecca!
I decided to use a blog I've already started rather than start a new one. I did investigate Edublogs and ClassBlogmeister. I wasn't sure if Edublogs is still actually free, and I'll admit I judged ClassBlogmeister based on that terrible font and cluttered layout. (I hope I'm not personally insulting anyone). It just looks a little less user-friendly than others to me.
I already use WordPress quite a bit, both for my library and with students. My library blog, Book Snacks, just has book reviews, polls, and other information related directly to my library. I haven't been as good at updating it this year. Between SLOs, APPR, and everything else, it's been a struggle to do anything a little extra. I also have a class of sixth graders using WordPress - they each have their own blog for reading reflections. It was a LOT of leg-work to get the blogs set up, but I think it's worth it. The students are really proud of their blogs because they know they're "real" blogs. They know they have a real audience, too. The growth in their writing and reflecting that is easily visible on these blogs is amazing.
I also have helped teachers use WordPress to create class blogs where students do not need accounts because they're just responding with comments instead of blog posts. It's been a little bit of a challenge to keep the blogs going, but I just keep nudging. :)
For my something new to try, I've just been tinkering around "under the hood." I've investigated the settings, especially for privacy and the template design. I discovered the ability to add a poll to the sidebar, which is very cool. It was extremely easy to set up, and I'll be interested to see if anyone responds. I also spend some time looking at the statistics information available. I wish Wordpress displayed this information in such a clear, easy to use manner.
Looking forward to seeing what everyone else does! :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You're here! :) I've never looked at the stats in blogger. I should do that! WordPress.com does have nice stats. Love your comment about the students knowing their blogs are real. So worth the effort then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its a great idea to have students write reading blogs. I love the idea that as a teacher, blogs are an easy way to show progress as writers. Hopefully those students keep them for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I LOVE the name of your blog and the positive energy that radiates from it!

    ReplyDelete