Saturday, May 21, 2011

Thing 4: Online Communities

I am already a member of quite a few online communities: Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads are a few. I am a HUGE fan of Twitter. I use it mostly for professional purposes, so I really wish it weren't blocked at school. I don't actually "tweet" that much (and I often re-tweet things I like), so I'm more of a lurker. I can easily see how public libraries use Twitter to communicate events. I'm not sure it would be quite as useful for a school library - for a variety of practical reasons. For one, in elementary schools, the students aren't on Twitter - at least that is my impression. I can see how it might be useful in communicating with parents, except if you aren't signed in to Twitter, you miss tweets. I have a hunch that people don't scroll back through Twitter updates like they do for Facebook. At the secondary level, IF students were allowed mobile devices, it would be an awesome way to keep them informed of what is happening... but I would guess that's not possible in most place. Regardless of these things, I love Twitter for my own personal learning.
For this Thing, I investigated other school libraries on Facebook. I am a firm believer in the importance of communicating with parents where they already are. I am willing to bet that most parents are on Facebook. It's easy for papers sent home to get lost, overlooked, and ignored. However, if you can update a Facebook page for your library, it's right there, sandwiched between Aunt Tilly's new tomato plants and your old best friend's new baby pictures. I think it's a positive, easy way to keep in touch.
It is VERY comforting to know that a page can be created that does not have to be linked to your personal profile.  I do not want my students' parents friend-requesting me on Facebook! Still, I think this is the kind of thing that many districts are still leery of. It's something we'd have to work on to prove it is effective and positive. Something I think school libraries would need to be careful of is posting pictures of students. Even if parents give permission for students to have their picture taken, posting it online is an entirely different animal. Especially since it would be associated with a specific place.  A predator would know right where to do! Scary!
All in all, I do not think we have a choice. As our positions are cut, we need to make positive noise and be a positive presence in the lives of our students. As their lives move online, so should we. If we're visible, we're harder to cut. I hope....

No comments:

Post a Comment